In light of the birthday of my hometown and the capital city of Indonesia, Jakarta, that falls every year on the 22nd of June, here are a few fun facts about Jakarta :
- The name Jakarta comes from a word combination of ‘Jaya’ which means victory or triumph and ‘karta’ which means city.
- Before it was officially known as the Special Capital Region of Jakarta, the city changed its name FIVE time:
In 669-1579 AD it was known as Sunda Kelapa, in 1527-1619 it was Jayakarta, then in the colonialism era (1619-1942) the Dutch changed it to Batavia, when the Japanese came to take over in 1942-1945, they changed it to Jakarta Toko Betsu Shi and after the independence of Indonesia it was changed back to Djakarta or Jakarta.
- One of the historic landmarks in Jakarta, The Selamat Datang Monument, was a result of a sketch done by the sixth governor of Jakarta, Henk Ngantung. He coincidentally was also a well-known painter.
- In the year 1915 there was a motorcycle club in Batavia called ‘Motorfietsrijders te Batavia’ that was founded by an Englishman called J.C. Potter.
- With 130 malls, Jakarta is a city with the most shopping centres in the world.