The Church of the Savior on Spilled Blood, one of the main sights of Russia, is situated in the heart of the country’s cultural capital Saint-Petersburg. Despite of the architectural beauty, the history of the foundation of this Church is very sad. It was built on the site of Griboyedov Canal where Alexander II, the Emperor of Russia, was fatally wounded in a result of a terrorist attack.
Alexander II is widely known as Alexander the Liberator for his successful Emancipation reform of 1861 when serfdom was abolished throughout the Russian Empire. On the 1st of March, 1881 Ignacy Hryniewiecki threw a bomb that resulted in a blast which tore the Tsar of Russia apart. Alexander II died one hour late in Winter Palace.
The day after the tragic death of Alexander II, it was decided to build a church to honor one of the greatest Emperors and reformer of Russia. In the beginning, the small wooden church was built on Griboyedov Canal but the government started to receive donations from all over the Russia for a new church or monument. Alexander III, the new Emperor of Russia, announced the competition for the best architectural project of a church. On 29th of July, 1883 he approved the project of Alfred Parland and an archimandrite Ignatiy. The first stone was put by Alexander III but it took 24 years to build The Church of the Savior on Spilled Blood. It was finally finished during the regiment of Nikolas II, the last Emperor of Russia.
After the Russian revolution 1917 the Church was looted and the interior was damaged. In 1930, it was closed by the Soviet government and reopened again during the Second World War to be used as a temporary morgue and a warehouse. From 1971 till 1991 the Church of the Savior on Spilled Blood faced the long restoration process which ended only after the collapse of Soviet Union. It was open for visitors again on 19th of August 1997 and now it is one of the most popular tourist attractions in Russia.