French people spend about 50 hours each month on Internet. In July, 61% of them logged in at least once ; in other words, nearly 32 millions persons switched on their computer, launched Firefox (or Internet Explorer), then entered some address: so what do the people make on the Internet? With our TOP 10 of the most visited websites, discover the favourite e-destinations of French people !
- Let’s say, most internet users must have Google as a homepage: the famous search engine takes the lion’s share in the two rankings used for this article: Alexa and Médiamétrie. Google adds regularly new services (mail, image gallery, maps, videos, translations, blog, internet browser…): it must be the reason of his success!
- Windows Live and MSN take the second position: Microsoft’s portal gave himself a new look and added hordes of online services, in the same vein as Google: photo gallery, online storage, search engine, agenda, etc. We must admit, the services offered are endless!
- Two Internet access providers (Orange and Free) go from one extreme to the other of the TOP 10: Orange for his comprehensive information portal, Free for the myriad of personal websites hosted under the name espacepersonnel.free.fr. Their position is varying: from the 3d to the 10th.
- A well-known site: Skyrock and the 19 billions blogs (!) stay a reference in the blog world. Originating from a rap & R’n’B radio, the social network skyrock.com is so well-liked that a skyblog has become a synonym of blog for the French young.
- Youtube still rules on the place of online videos. New features appear from time to time (subtitles, captions, Quick Capture). The number of views of a particular video attests his popularity.
His competitor Dailymotion (a French company created in 2005) takes only the 11th position in Alexa’s ranking.
- Search engine Yahoo keeps on struggling Google’s leadership by completing his offer with a diversified portal about information and services: cinema, horoscope, news, … A rich and colorful website, gathering many different services.
- Facebook, the student-oriented social network got ranked 8th by Alexa. Among the favourite features: photos/links/videos sharing, bizarre or serious groups, applications , etc.
- The Pages Jaunes (“Golden Pages”) search for you the address and telephone number of private companies. Since there isn’t really a competitor, it explains their 6th in Médiamétrie’s ranking.
- L’Internaute (“the Internet User”) is often refered for his encyclopedia and content articles about pretty much everything: money, car, decoration, high tech, men/women relations, garden…
- Mappy shows you the way in the whole world, in 7 languages.
- Ebay allows you to make good deals with your used stuff. Nowadays more and more professionnals sell solely through this medium.
- Wikifondation is a safe bet in the Internet. Besides Wikipedia (the free encyclopedia), side activities come to enchance the main project (Wiktionary, Wikibooks, Wikinews, etc.).
Alexa (Top 100 Sites – France)
Médiamétrie (Audience des sites en juillet 08)